Saturday, March 14, 2009

the eyes have it............

for the last few months i have noticed a blurring of vision in one eye and difficulty reading.....since i onoly have my eyess examined 1x yearly and it had only been 5 months - i ignored it for a while.......now it is too aggravating to ignore, so........
another dr visit (I don't have enough) ! turned up somewhat of a mystery...my eyesight has gone from 20/20 to 20/ 80 in just a few months....dr not sure why - medications ??? macula isues , growth of a cataract....?
i do have a cataract which may need removal if that turns out to be the culprit
more tests coming to eliminate and/or explain changes.....
i am a little concerned as my dad had macular degeneration and it is hereditary, so hopefully it's a cataract or drug issue.
the difficulty focusing to read he believes is drug related as he says wearing the pain medication patch that i wear is like being on 2 martini's all the time....
actually it doesn't affect me that way and believe it or not my internist says that my high tolerance for drugs is genetically relate to the alchoholism gene which i carry.....
sooooooo - more tests, more waiting,

2 comments:

David D. Richardson, M.D. said...

Eileen,

Hopefully the loss of vision is just from a cataract. If so, modern cataract surgery has a 97% chance of improving vision (if there are no other problems such as macular degeneration or glacoma).

Probably the most important decision someone who is considering eye surgery must make is what surgeon to choose. I have created a document for my cataract patients to help them in choosing a surgeon. The article can be viewed by clicking this link:
http://sgveye.com/en/resources/35-about-your-eyes/233-10-things-you-must-know-before-choosing-your-cataract-surgeon

The advice in this document can be applied to choosing any surgeon in any specialty, not just cataract surgeons.

Sincerely,

David D. Richardson, M.D.
Medical Director

San Gabriel Valley Eye Associates, Inc.
"LA and So Cal’s Trusted Source of Eyecare"

207 S. Santa Anita Street, Suite P-25
San Gabriel, CA 91776
626.289.7856

Unknown said...

Hi Auntie,

I pray for you feel better soon! I love you and I miss you soooo much!

Susan