Thursday, October 04, 2007

An Anniversary

today marks the 1 yr anniversary of hearing those frightening words from my surgeon
"now we need to talk about breast cancer"
they changed my life forever
now every twinge,
every pain
every slight change in my body
is scary
the year taken out of my life
with drips, and machines, and burns
and no hair
with fear and fatigue
and thousands of tears
with pain and protesting
utter grief and despair
weakness and wondering
terror and trials
family caring for me
friends to quietly listen
all of it mostly a blur....
the first year is gone
passed me by
sometimes inn a fog
sometimes in frustration
sometimes in fear
and now the journey continues...
5 years of preventative medicine
numb fingers and toes
terrible joint pain
ongoing fatigue
a much slowed down life
underlying worry
sagging energy
and simple humble gratitude
i am here
i am blessed
i have survived.....

No comments: