Wednesday, October 31, 2007

the earth moved......

last night i experienced my first earthquake.... it was 5.6...
in the big one of 1989, i was driving and only felt a bump of the tires....
this morning i am still a little queasy......
as the house began to "roll", i forgot everything i was supposed to know.....like what do i do.... i pushed the chair back from the computer and sat paralyzed in the middle of the room....
for one split second i thought i was going to die...
i couldn't breathe or move.....
when things stopped moving i tried to call chris, tim and my sister .....neither the cell or house phone was working except for some strange reason my cell was able to get Christopher - probably because he was in the car..
my whole body shook and i couldn't stop crying for a long time.... i was very surprised at my body's reaction...maybe it was the adrenalin or being alone or being afraid of dying....
i was very afraid to go to bed as my bed is under a window. it made me think about moving my room around but don't want to.....
thankfully everyone is safe - only a few things tipped over...
when the earth moves beneath us - it is such a reminder that life is fragile, short and precious
and the movement of what we think grounds us shakes our very essence.
may we all take a moment to be grateful for those we love and treasure as we hopefully settle back into stillness and peace......

No comments: