Tuesday, June 24, 2008

a scary pain

my "new' sleeve which is tighter and has a compression pad on the palm of my hand has a strong piece of thread - carpet type - on the seam between my thumb and forefinger....
it has been rubbing, chafing and hurting on that space....
i did not know there was a nerve right there and fri and sat i had horrendous pain shooting up my arm and it scared me....
i finally remembered my friend who also wears a garment - different than mine - but she had to get it adjusted as the nerve pain was caused by the area between thumb and finger was too tight....
i took off the new garment - put the old one back on and told my physical therapist about it yesterday.....
she took the new one to fix the seam so it won't cut or hurt...
i'm already worried as there is the beginning of a blister there and there is supposed to be no cuts, scratches, etc on this hand or arm......
I keep reading more lymphedema pages to learn more and more but they are pretty depressing with all the warnings and "rules" i did find a really good site for lots of answers about the condition.....
mostly everywhere says the occurence is low percentage and i had to fall in that low % range, that it is an ugly diagnosis... and there are lots of do's and dont's
if you want to know more here is a really informative place to go....and here is another really good site
i try my best to stay positive but the heat and this garment does me in physically and emotionally and people asking all the time about the garment brings up the discussion and reality of breast cancer......even tho i am cancer-free - it is very difficult to talk about....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LYMPHEDEMA SUCKS BIG TIME. I wish there was something I could do. We must hope for a miracle, and miracles do happen. I love you, Geri