Friday, March 16, 2007

ERIN GO BRAGH



translated Ireland Forever....
this beautiful plant was given to me by a friend and after this season will look beautiful in my garden next to my fountain...
I am listening to my huge collection of Irish music and as i mentioned yesterday-it's a mixture of joy and sadness....
my mother never liked being Irish as she grew up in a house cursed with am alcoholic mother and father and she only associated the irish with drinking....
to this day it makes me very angry that so many jokes, songs and cards play off the drinking aspect of the Irish.... alcoholism isn't funny and truth be told, it is historically true that the gene for it runs through centuries of the Irish people.....
Thankfully my grandmother, uncles, aunts and father enjoyed singing the "old" songs and i learned many of them as a young girl...
most of them still bring a tear....and of course since my childhood irish music has become very popular and there is much more to listen to.....
i don't celebrate the st patrick mythology - but can take these days to celebrate my ancestry and the beauty of the country and its people....my dream is to go to Ireland to celebrate my 70th birthday in 08... may my dream come true......
bridget goddess of poetry, healing and smithcraft is much more who i choose to celebrate but her feast - Imbølc has come and gone on Feb.2.....
Irish or not, i send you this Irish blessing:
May you have warm words on a cold evening
A full moon on a dark night
And the road downhill all the way to your door...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write such beautiful words. Today makes me happy to be Irish! I love you, Geri